Sunday, January 28, 2018

HONG KONG TATTO ©

     The first stopover, on my flight to England, was in Sydney. I stayed at a hotel in Kings Cross which was paid for by Air New Zealand.  I spent most of the evening saying 'no' to the endless parade of prostitutes that walked the streets. When I was sick of walking around, I went into The Paradise Club to listen to some live music. The club stayed open until 3:30 after which I had a meal and then walk back towards Kings Cross Fountain and my hotel, which was just around the corner.

     The next day, the complimentary taxi picked me up and drove me back to Kingston-Smith airport. I boarded the plane and we took off to the next destination which was to be Hong Kong. When we landed in Hong Kong, I was driven to the Miramar Hotel where I was to stay for 48 hours.

     As we drove through the streets in my private taxi at 2 in the morning, it looked like 2 in the afternoon. The streets were packed with people who seemed to be totally lost, as they wandered along through the bright, gaudy neon lights of the city. The taxi stopped outside the Hotel front entrance. A bell hop grabbed hold of my suitcase before I knew what had hit me!
"Yes, Yes.", he said. "You please to come this way sir."

     I knew that he was talking to my money but it was too late now. I'd have had to kill him before he would let go of my case. I thought,
'What the hell! I'm on holidays!'

     After I checked in, the small bell hop carried my big case over to the lift and up we went. He wore a permanent smile from the ground floor to the top. As we rode up in the lift, the only time I saw his smile disappear was when I thanked him very much for carrying the suitcase and then asked him to leave. He looked at me and then his empty hand. After 3 times of this little act, I gave him 2 dollars, the smile came back quickly.
"Just testing mate.", I said in broad Occa.
"I am begging your pardon?"
"Nothing sport. See ya later."

     The room was 5-Star. I dived on the double bed to test it out. No complaints. All paid for by Air New Zealand, after I'd paid them a thousand dollars for the trip!  As I laid on the bed, staring up at the light fixture, I decided to have a good hot shower and then go downstairs to ask where the action was. Showered and dressed, I made mi way way downstairs.

     Once I reached the lobby, I asked the desk clerk if he knew of any good bars where it was safe for one man to go to alone.
"The Jolly Swagman.", he said with a smile. "Take a taxi outside and only pay what's on the meter."

"Meter price to the Jolly Swagman mate.", I said to the taxi driver as he opened the door.
"No no