Tuesday, January 2, 2018

LEAVING BURTS PLACE ~Part 9 ~ CHAPTER 3 ©

     I'd been working on Burts' property for quite a while now and things had not improved one bit. One evening, Peter Smith unexpectedly drove into Burts' yard and stopped his Ute, in a cloud of dust, outside my tin shed doorway.
"G'day ya bastard.", he said with a huge grin on his face.
"G'day Peter. How are ya mate?"
     My use of the Aussie accent and lingo was now improving, somewhat.
"I'm good sport, and I'm good because I've got some good news for ya Yorky!"
"Ya got me a new job Peter?"
"Sure have mate. It took me awhile but I eventually found one for ya."
"What's it doing? Who will I be working for?"
"Well mate, you'll be starting a new career in contract fencing with a real good bloke called Jim Smith."
"Is he any relation to you Peter?"
"Na mate, no relation at all but he's a beaut  bloke. Ya can start with him in a fortnight from today."
"That's really great, but why can't I start tomorrow mate?"
" Cause first you've got to give old Burt a couple of weeks notice."
"Why should I do that Peter? Why not just leave the old bastard in the shit where he belongs?"
"Can't do that. For one thing, it's not the done thing in the Bush and for another you've probably got almost half a years holiday pay comin' to ya. It would be stupid to forfeit that so old Burt could keep it. Besides mate, we'll have a hell of a battle getting it out of him as it is!"
"Alright Peter, whatever you say. When should I break the good news to him?"
"Tell him first thing tomorrow morning. If he gives ya a hard time, tell him to call  me. I don't particularly want to get on the wrong side of Burt but it's my job to look after ya, if ya need any help. I was a bit luckier that you when I first came out here. They sent me to Fred Harzeys' place and he's not too bad a bloke. Mind you, he can be a bit of a bastard when he wants to be but he know he can't find a better worker than me. Most of the time we see eye to eye on things. Anyways Yorky, give us a call as soon as ya 14 days are up and I'll come and pick ya up and take ya over to Jims' place. I think you'll like him, he's a real kind-hearted sort of bloke."
"I don't know how to thank ya mate."
No need mate. I told you once already, I'd do the same for a white fella' anyday!"

     This statement eased the situation and made us both laugh out loud.
"Alright mate, gotta run. See ya later and don't forget, give us a ring if ya need me."
     I expressed my gratefulness once again. Peter turned the key of his Ute, put it in first and spun the wheels in the red dust as he tore off down the Paddock track, over the ramp and right, towards Lake Cargelligo.

     That evening, I found it hard to rest because of all the unknown factors that were about to come into play in my young life. The main source of excitement came from the fact of knowing I was about to pull the pin on old Burtie!

     The following morning I was up earlier than usual. The cows were brought in and milked with time to spare. I decided to go back to mi room to wait for breakfast. I left mi door open, as I lay on top of mi bed with mi boots resting on the bottom rail. I'd just rolled a home-made Drum cigarette  when old Burt came striding across the yard. I'd left mi door open so I could see him or anyone else, who was up and around.

"Come on!, he called to me in an un unusually rough manner. "What are you doing still in bed, laid there smoking? We've got work to do! Go and get the cows in. I'm runnin' a bit late this morning!"
"They're in! Milked and back out in the paddock already."
"What d'ya mean. It's only 6 O'clock?"
"I couldn't rest so I started a bit earlier this morning."
"Alright then, ya can go and weed the wifes' veggie garden before breakfast!"

     Old Kay had a good veggie garden that she was real proud of. She was always skyting about how clean she kept it but it was me who always had to pull out the hard chickweed and skeleton weed so I said to Burt, 'NO'!
"What d'ya mean NO? Get up off ya lazy pommy back and do as ya told, ya bastard!"
"FUCK YOUR BURT!  I didn't start at 4:30 this morning to end up pulling lousy weeds out of your wifes' garden!"
     Burts' face was not turning a dark crimson color by the second.
"I'll knock ya arse over head if ya talk to me like that, and further more, I'll call the BBM and have ya deported, ya ungrateful pommy bstard!"
"Hey Burt, You've been cursing at me for quite a while now and I did not leave home and come 12,800 miles to live with someone worse than mi stepfather and furthermore I came out here to learn a trade of some sort. So far, all I've done is to swing a bloody axe, shovel hot coals, pick up bloody stumps and weed your wifes' veggie garden. She's so proud of that veggie patch, she can weed it herself!"
     Burt was so cranky now, he was starting to stutter.
"I'll-I'll I'll- knock ya arse over head ya bastard and then I'll fire ya, ya pommy bastard!", he roared.
"You'll do nothing of the sort Burt.", I said in a cool manner. "Cause I'm pulling the pin. I'm giving ya 14 days notice, from this morning and when I leave I'll expect some holiday pay as well as mi monthly 12 quid!"
"What did you say, ya cheeky bastard?"
"You heard Burt! I'm pullin' the pin on ya mate."
"Ya can't pull the pin on me mate!", he roared. I'm gonna call Sydney now and have a word with Mansell about you!"
"Call whoever ya like Burt, Mansell knows I'm leaving here. Peter Smith already called him and Mansell says he'll not send anymore pommys to this place if ya don't give me my holiday pay at the end of 14 days and furthermore Burt, for every day you make me wait over the 14 days, you'll be charged a penalty! How d'ya like that Burt?"
'You'll git no holiday pay out a' me, ya lazy mongrel bastard! I'll see you in hell first!"
"I'll be waiting for ya when ya get there Burt!, I said, then laid back on mi bed and finished mi smoke.

     Old Burt strode off across the dirt yard at double his normal speed now. The garden gates slammed shut and the back fly-screen door bounced on its hinges more than its usual twice.
     Mi heart was now beating 10 to the dozen and mi hands had a slight shake to them as the life-force banged out a kettle drum beat in mi navel.

'At long last,' I thought, all these long months of putting up with that miserable, tight arsed old bastards abuse. Months of living in fear of him deporting me, but today is Yorkys' day! Let that be a lesson to you Yorky mate, said my inner heart, Once ya buy into fear ya rooted! You'd may as well lie down and die!'

     Twenty minutes later old Kay rang the cow bell for breakfast. I walked slowly over to the house, not knowing what was going to happen. When I got inside, Burt was chomping down on a small  mutton chop bone. His hands were still shaking as he picked up his cup of tea. When I sat down, Kay said to me,  "Burt tells me you're leaving us Richard. Aren't you happy here anymore?"
"It's nothing to do with you, Mrs. Booth, but I've never been happy since they sent me hear from Cabrammatta."
"Oh, I had no idea ya felt like that. Why aren't you happy here?"
"Ask Burt, he'll tell ya."
"It's no good asking me.", said Burt. "Far as I'm concerned you've been treated well."
"Yeh, I thought we'd been very good to you Richard.", said Kay.
"Oh really, d'ya think it's good being abused all day and getting chased through the bush by an axe-wielding madman?"
"l've got no idea what you're talking about Richard.", said Kay.
"Then Burt, obviously, doesn't tell you much Mrs. Booth. Anyway, it's nearly all over now and there's nothing you can say will change mi mind. I've pulled the pin now and I'll be off in 14 days. I'm not very hungry this morning Mrs. Booth. I'll wait for ya outside Burt.", I said, as I pushed mi chair back and walked out of the kitchen.

     Over the next 14 days, Burt carried on as normal. I thought he might loosen up a bit but he never  changed, right up until the morning Peter Smith drove up the track to pick me up.
"Ya got ya gear all packed up mate?", he asked as he leaned out the window of the Ute.
"I never unpacked it. I knew from the first day, I wouldn't be retiring here."
     Peter had a chuckle and then said, "Put ya gear in the back, mate. I'll let old Burt know where to send ya holiday money to."
     Just then Burt called to me from the back veranda,"You better come and git ya money before ya go mate."
"I'll be there in a minute.", I said.
"Go and pick up ya pay said Peter."
"Alright.", I said and than walked over to Burts' house for the last time.
"Ya gotta months pay coming.", he said, as I entered the kitchen.
"A months' pay and 5 1/2 months holiday pay,", I said to him.
"You'll git no holiday pay from me mate!", he said, as he wrote out a check for 12 pounds and 2 shillings.
"The Award Sheet says I'm due for holiday pay, Burt."
"I don't give a rats' arse what the Award Sheet says, you'll git no holiday pay from me mate!"
"Ya don't mind working off the Award Sheet when it comes to paying wages and taking board and tucker though eh Burt?"
     He didn't bother to answer me, he just said, "Here, sign here if ya want ya wages. I got work to do today!"

"Did he give you ya holiday pay Yorky?", said Peter, when I got back to the Ute.
"No mate, he said he won't pay it."
"Alright mate, wait here for me. I'll go and have a word with him."

"No luck mate.", he said, as he returned.  "He's determined not to pay it, so we'll have to call Mansell in Sydney.  If anyone can get it, he will.", said Peter. "Hop in the Ute Yorky, Let's git out of here. Jim Smith is waiting for us at Burts' far boundary fence."